Mascot: The Bee
Colors: Black and Yellow
B. D. Lee School serves students from urban and rural communities and is located within walking distance of the growing business district of Floyd Baker Boulevard. The school opened in the fall of 1954 as Gaffney’s first junior high school with Mr. Luther L. Vaughan as Principal. Gaffney Junior High School served students in grades seven and eight for fourteen years. In 1968, the schools of Cherokee County were desegregated, and the junior high became a sixth grade school. The school was renamed B. D. Lee elementary in honor of former school Superintendent Bevin D. Lee. During this time, the school served all sixth graders west of Broad River and Mr. Archie Fowler was Principal. In 1975, after seven years, the school was changed to an elementary school. In 1978, Dr. Bertha T. Harris was named Principal. The school was completely renovated at a cost of over a million dollars in 1989.
After serving 27 years as Principal, Dr. Harris submitted a letter of retirement to become effective the end of June, 2006. In March of 2006, Ms. Carlotta Redish (a former B. D. Lee Bee) was elected Principal to begin at the start of the 2006-007 school year. In July 2007, Mrs. Sharon Jefferies ( a former B.D. Lee Bee) was elected principal to begin at the start of the 2007-08 school year. In addition to a strong commitment to academics, the faculty and staff are dedicated to the full development of each student and the recognition of his/her best qualities. The motto of the school is: If you can believe it, our Bees will achieve it! . There are several programs of pride which recognize students for their accomplishments which include: The Student Council, Nine Weeks Recognition Assemblies (Bee Proud), The Beta Club, Grade Level Programs, Career Emphasis Days, and Science Fair.
Parents are welcome into the school for designated lunch dates, the annual family night, parenting sessions, and to serve as volunteers.